On November 5, 2022, the world lost a beautiful light, Brenyale Toomer-Byas. Brenyale was a loving daughter, a caring friend, a dedicated colleague, a passionate mentor, a talented strategic thinker, and so much more. The Orange County community is grateful that we had the privilege of knowing and working with Brenyale. She approached life and leadership with happiness and positivity. We will always remember her contagious laugh, listening ear, and warm smile.
Brenyale was a macro social work practitioner with extensive experience in program design, evaluation, training, grant making, and grant administration. Prior to creating her own consulting firm one year ago, Brenyale worked for 15 years with Orange County United Way, most recently as Executive Director of the United for Financial Security℠ initiative.
Brenyale held Bachelor of Arts degrees in Religion and Political Science as well as a Master of Social Work degree with an emphasis in Community Organization Planning and Administration from the University of Southern California. She was proud to serve as lead consultant for the Orange County Eviction Diversion Collaborative while making plans to pursue her PhD.
To honor Brenyale’s life and legacy, we are establishing the Brenyale Toomer-Byas Scholarship for Emerging Leaders. Brenyale was so passionate about the pursuit of higher education. An annual scholarship will be awarded to one Orange County non-profit leader seeking to pursue post-graduate studies.
Please choose an option below:
Apply for the Brenyale Toomer-Byas Scholarship
We are pleased to share the Brenyale Toomer-Byas Scholarship opportunity with you:
- View the Scholarship Application and complete instructions. (PDF opens in a new window)
- Submit your application and supporting documents via this Box.com submission form. (Form opens in a new window). Please be sure your documents filenames follow this format: FirstInitialLastName_Application/Resume/LettersofRec
- NEW DATE: Applications are now DUE Friday, April 21, 2023
- Award Decisions will be made on or around April 28, 2023
- Award Announcement will be made on May 2, 2023 at our annual Scorecard Event. Register for our free Scorecard event.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Carol Kim, Senior Director, Community Investments and Evaluation via email.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to receive the award, the applicant must be available to attend in person on May 2, 2023 at our annual Scorecard event.