Eligible families must file their tax returns in order to claim EITC – a benefit for working people who have low to moderate income. A tax credit means more money in your pocket. It reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund. Families may receive hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars between these two credits! That’s money you can use for rent, school tuition, utilities, groceries, and other important expenses.
Know It. Earn It. Get It!
What would you do with an extra $6,000?
The expanded California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC), along with a similar federal credit, can result in hundreds or even thousands of extra dollars.
The amount of CalEITC you may be eligible for depends on how much money you earn from work. You may also be eligible if you:
- Are over age 18
- Work for an employer or for yourself
- Have a Social Security Number valid for work
- Lived in CA at least half the tax year
In addition to CalEITC, you may also be eligible for the federal EITC if you earned less than $55,000.
Children in families receiving the tax credits do better in school, are likelier to attend college and can be expected to earn more as adults.
For more information visit CalEITC4Me.org where you can:
- Get more information about qualifying child requirements
- Use the credit calculator to find out how much your cash-back tax credits are worth
Get Support Filing Your Taxes
Schedule an appointment with an IRS-certified volunteer tax preparer at your local VITA site who can work directly with you to file your 2018 Federal and California state income tax returns. Services are available in multiple languages, including but not limited to English, Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese.
- A complete list of 2019 tax filing locations, phone numbers and filing requirements coming soon!