JOIN US as a VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER for the 2018 OC Free Tax Preparation Campaign! The campaign offers free tax preparation services in Orange County through the IRS’ volunteer program, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).
Become a VITA Volunteer
SIGN UP BELOW! No tax experience necessary. United Way will provide you the tax training and tools to become VITA certified and to be a successful volunteer. VITA volunteers must be comfortable using a computer.
VITA volunteer training starts in October and runs through January, 2018.
Free tax preparation starts January 16th and runs through April 17th, 2018.
With over 30 VITA locations across Orange County, you can volunteer where it is most convenient for you.
VITA sites are open on different days and different times… so there is a site for you!
VITA volunteers are strongly encouraged to commit to at least 40 hours over the tax season.
Register or Get More Information
To register or get more information, please submit the form below:
VITA VOLUNTEER ROLES
- Greeter: Greeters welcome taxpayers to the VITA site and are responsible for assisting clients with the intake form and ensuring taxpayers have the correct tax documents and identification. This is a critical role as it is the initial point at which important tax return information is gathered and verified.
- Tax Preparer: Prepares tax returns. Volunteers will complete the IRS’ Link & Learn training course and pass online exams to become IRS certified to prepare taxes. Bilingual tax preparers are always in high demand.
- Interpreter: Interpreters aid taxpayers by working alongside the tax payers and tax preparers. Spanish/English bilingual and American Sign Language volunteers are needed.
- Tax Knowledge Experts/Quality Reviewers: This role is for Enrolled Agents, CPAs and other professionals with tax knowledge and preparation experience. Newer volunteers will have questions, and will need mentors and professionals to help, guide, answer tax questions, and ensure excellent accuracy in filing.
- Tax Guide: Assists taxpayers who are self-preparing tax returns on MyFreeTaxes.com at one of our sites.
Don’t worry! Exams are self-paced, open-book, multiple-choice. All VITA volunteers must pass the IRS’ Volunteer Standards of Conduct Training (Ethics) certification. To prepare tax returns in the IRS’ VITA program, you must also pass a tax preparation certification. Online testing is fast and efficient. Volunteers who do not pass the test the first time may review the course material and try again.
This year, three (3) days of in-person trainings is REQUIRED for new volunteers and one (1) day of in-person training is REQUIRED for returning volunteers.
To get started, you can check out the IRS training resources at:
Learn More about Becoming a VITA Volunteer
It’s a win-win for VITA volunteers. Watch the video to learn more about how you can help and benefit by becoming a VITA Volunteer Tax Preparer.
Are you ready to volunteer?
Thank you for your interest in serving our community together.
Fill out the form above for more information or to register as a VITA Volunteer with the OC Free Tax Prep Campaign.
Or, talk to the OC Free Tax Prep Campaign Manager at 949.263.6167
VITA Volunteer Spotlight
Thank you to the volunteers who are making an impact in the lives of Orange County individuals and families!
Hats off to Jorge and Caesar! This duo may be unsung heroes as data checkers but their roles are vital. When IRS-certified volunteers prepare a tax return, the return is submitted to the data checker whose sole purpose is to review and assure the accuracy of the data sources. When this process is complete, it is submitted to the Quality Reviewer for the tax application evaluation. The result– fewer submission errors making the process even smoother for the valued clients we serve.