Dynamic schedule of virtual events and educational opportunities from November 13th – 21st
Orange County, Calif. (November 1, 2021) – United to End Homelessness℠ will continue its ongoing efforts to raise awareness and draw attention to the issue of homelessness with a host of activities during Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. A variety of virtual education and advocacy events are scheduled.
Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week will take place from Saturday, November 13 through Sunday, November 21.
“We can all attest to the pressing need for greater awareness and support for those in our community who are either experiencing homelessness or are on the verge of becoming homeless,” said Becks Heyhoe, Executive Director of United to End Homelessness. “The annual Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is a great vehicle to engage everyone in Orange County and learn how we can collectively impact the goal of ensuring everyone has safe, stable housing – especially as we continue to navigate the pandemic and approach the winter months.”
The following free virtual events and initiatives are open to participation from the public:
Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week Social Media Campaign
This year’s social media campaign follows the theme, “Housing Ends Homelessness for Our Neighbors.” Businesses, organizations, faith communities and individuals are all invited to use the kit that will be provided. On your own social media platforms, educate your friends, families, and coworkers about how housing is the solution for ending homelessness, and remind them that those experiencing homelessness are our neighbors and a part of the Orange County community.
Learn how to correctly utilize the social media kit by attending one of the social media kit workshops:
- Wednesday, November 3, 2021 from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. – Register
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021 from 6:00 to 6:30 p.m. – Register
To sign up to receive the social media kit, please click here.
Community Virtual Events
Attend virtual interviews and discussions with industry experts about various topics related to homelessness in Orange County.
- State of Homelessness Address
- Monday, November 15, 2021 from 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- In this inaugural event hosted by United to End Homelessness, hear from four key community leaders as they share the progress and challenges Orange County has faced in 2021 and outline the road ahead for countywide homelessness initiatives.
- Confirmed speakers include:
- Douglas Becht, Acting Director of the Office of Care Coordination at the Orange County Health Care Agency
- Supervisor Doug Chaffee, Chair of the Commission to End Homelessness
- Tim Houchen, Chair of the Lived Experience Advisory Committee
- Tim Shaw, Chair of the Orange County Continuum of Care Board
- Register here.
- Passing the Mic: Hearing from People Who’ve Survived Homelessness
- Thursday, November 18, 2021 from 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
- Learn firsthand about the issues surrounding homelessness directly from people with lived expertise.
- Hosted by Tim Houchen, Chair of the Lived Experience Advisory Committee and member of the Continuum of Care Board, and Becks Heyhoe, Executive Director for United to End Homelessness.
- Confirmed speakers from the Lived Experience Advisory Committee include:
- Santa Bob, Advocate, Advisor, Minister and Friend
- Elizabeth Casillas
- Deborah Kraft, Domestic Violence Advocate
- Kymberly McClain, Domestic Violence Survivor
- Register here.
Homelessness 101 Class
Break down the myths and gain a better understanding of the homeless system in Orange County, including the most up-to-date statistics and best practices for solving homelessness in our community.
- Monday, November 22, 2021 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. – Register
Housing Champion Advocacy 101 Class
Learn how to be an effective voice for more supportive and affordable housing in your community, how to move housing projects towards approval and how to deliver strong public comments at key city council and commission board hearings.
- Friday, December 3, 2021 from 12:00 p.m. – Register
For more information about United to End Homelessness, visit https://www.unitedtoendhomelessness.org/.
ABOUT UNITED TO END HOMELESSNESS
Launched in February 2018, United to End Homelessness is led by a diverse group of leaders from Orange County’s top business, philanthropic, governmental, faith-based and nonprofit organizations – all committed to ending homelessness in our community. Our work is grounded in bringing the recommendations of the 2017 UC Irvine study “Homelessness in Orange County: The Costs to Our Community” to life, with Orange County United Way serving as the backbone of this new collaborative effort. Together we are working to bring the issue of homelessness to the forefront of the community’s collective discussion and create civic engagement that will lead to meaningful and lasting results. Together we can and we will #EndHomelessnessOC. For more information, please visit www.unitedtoendhomelessness.org.
# # #
Media Contact: Heidi Pallares, firstname.lastname@example.org, (949) 285-7278