Many of us may not realize the importance of reading as a critical bridge to success in school, work and life. Studies show that:
- Children are learning to read until third grade
- By fourth grade they should be reading to learn
- After fourth grade, coursework gets harder and reading becomes more challenging
- Students who don’t read well have increasing difficulty keeping up, leading to bad grades, disengaging from school, and dropping out
- In fact, children who aren’t reading at grade level by the end of third grade are four times as likely to drop out of high school
We want to get more children and parents reading together than ever before. Why? Because reading aloud to a child promotes early literacy and language development. Students who read the most, read the best, achieve the most, and stay in school the longest!
Throughout the year, we are collecting pledges of $15 to give #BOOKS4OCKIDS. Your gift will buy 3 books for kids in need to help them improve early grade reading skills, one of the keys to academic success! While you’re at it, read to a child in your life for just 15 minutes, so he/she will have the literacy skills needed to succeed in school. Together we can build a better future by uniting behind a simple, powerful message: Read Aloud 15 Minutes. Every child. Every parent. Every day.