Orange County United Way actively engages in outreach and education for Covered CA to ensure all individuals and families in our community have access to healthcare.
No one plans to get sick or hurt, and most people need medical care at some point in their life. Having health coverage will help put your mind at ease ensuring that you have access to health services in a timely manner.
Access to health care services is important for promoting and maintaining health, preventing and managing disease, reducing unnecessary disability and premature death, and achieving health equity for all individuals.
About Covered CA
California’s Healthcare Insurance Exchange
Covered California helps Californians buy low-cost coverage from quality health plans. On Covered California’s consumer website you can:
- Shop and compare health care plans
- Learn about Covered California benefits
- Apply for health coverage
- Find Covered California application assistance in your area
- Information about accessing healthcare and health benefits for immigrant and families with mixed-status
- Effective February 1, anyone uninsured and eligible to enroll in health care coverage through Covered California can sign up through May 15! To make an appointment or for questions, please contact Martha Patarroyo, Certified Enrollment Counselor at 714.308.1022 or via email. Also, see Covered CA Special Enrollment information below.
Covered CA Special Enrollment
Have you had a qualifying life event? In most cases, you have 60 days from the date of the qualifying life event to enroll in a health insurance plan or change your existing plan through Covered California.
Orange County United Way’s Certified Enrollment Counselor can assist you answering your questions and enrolling you for health coverage that is right for you and your family.
The value of health care is evident daily at United Way. One recent enrollee, Masako was eight months pregnant and awaiting the birth of her second child when we met her. On top of the usual concerns any couple has when they’re expecting, Masako was near tears as she considered her family’s tenuous coverage situation. Her husband had employee-only health insurance through his employer but the family plan was unaffordable. With her due date fast approaching, Orange County United Way helped her enroll in a plan that was right for her and her family.
As a cancer survivor, now I am able to purchase insurance through Covered California and don’t have to pay those high premiums due to a pre-existing condition.