Orange County United Way brings you a quick guide to register to vote in Orange County, California. The deadline to register online and to vote by mail is October 19, 2020. Can’t make it by then? No problem! Register at your local vote center as late as on election day.
How to Register to Vote in Orange County, CA
You can register to vote online. You will have the option to register to vote-by-mail in the same form.
You can also check on your voter registration status.
To qualify as a registered voter in Orange County, CA:
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be a resident of Orange County, CA
- You must be at least 18 years of age or older on or before the next election
- You must not be in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
- You must not have been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent to register and vote
More information about vote by mail in Orange County, CA.
What Documents Will I Need to Register to Vote Online?
To register to vote online you will need the following documents:
- Your California driver’s license or California identification card number.
- The last four digits of your social security number.
- Your date of birth.
- Your information will be provided to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to retrieve a copy of your DMV signature.
If you do not have a California driver license or California identification card, you can still use this form to apply to register to vote. However, you will need to take additional steps to complete your voter registration.
Am I Registered to Vote in Orange County, CA?
If you are unsure if you’re registered to vote, check your voter registration status online. That same form will enable you to:
- Check if you are registered to vote.
- Check where you are registered to vote.
- Check your political party preference.
- Check your language preference for election materials.
- Check the status of your vote-by-mail or provisional ballot.
- Find your polling place.
- Find information for upcoming local and state elections.
- Find contact information for your county elections office.
- Choose how you want to receive your state and county voter guides before each election.
What Is the Deadline to Register to Vote?
The deadline to register to vote for the November 3, 2020 Presidential General Election is October 19, 2020. You can register to vote online.
Early Voting in Orange County and Vote-By-Mail Ballot Drop off Locations
Ballot drop boxes are a great way to deliver your ballot to us without having to stop into a Vote Center. List and locator tool coming soon!
Where Can I Register to Vote in Orange County, California?
You may submit your voter registration application online at RegisterToVote.ca.gov. You can also pick up a paper application at your county elections office, any Department of Motor Vehicles field office, and many post offices, public libraries, and government offices. To have an application mailed to you, call your county elections office or the Secretary of State’s toll-free Voter Hotline at (800) 345-VOTE (8683).
Orange County’s Election Office is:
Neal Kelley, Registrar of Voters
1300 South Grand Avenue, Bldg. C, Santa Ana, CA 92705
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 11298, Santa Ana, CA 92711
(714) 567-7600, (714) 567-7556 Fax
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Registering to Vote Frequently Asked Questions
Check frequently asked questions about registering to vote, voting, and more at the California Secretary of State’s website.